In which Matthew & Steve discuss modern Archeology and how the reality compares to the depiction of Archeology and Archeologists in movies, TV, and books. We go on to discuss some of the controversy that Archeology can lead to, and finally, we discuss how to apply Matthew’s understanding of the ways that human societies develop and express themselves to create more nuanced fantasy races.
These are the four (4) questions that Matthew enumerated during the episode:
- What is their environment & resource base?
- What are their settlement patterns?
- What is their social organization?
- How does their religion interact with all of these things?
- Wikipedia: Zork
- Wikipedia: Buttemilk Creek Complex
- Wikipedia: Clovis Point
- US Law: Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (1990)
- News: “Conclusive evidence of American Indian cannibalism found”
- Wikipedia: CJD: Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease
- Podcast: Monster Talk: Dead Men Are A Ghouls Best Friend
- Book: Dinner with a Cannibal, The Complete History of Mankinds Oldest Taboo
- Wikipedia: “Noble Savage”
- Wikipedia: “Magic Negro”
- Book: Guns, Germs, Steel by Jared Diamond
- Blog: Anthroslug the Much Put-Upon
- Book: Cultural Resources Archaeology: An Introduction by Thomas W. Neumann, Robert M. Sanford, Karen G. Harry